Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Bee

I park under a tree at work, so the shade keeps the car cooler. I notice everyone keeps their windows up and the doors locked, but on the hot days, I leave my windows down. I like to sit in the car, when I have break or lunch and enjoy the quiet. Today, I went to my car and continued to read a book, Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold. It is a great read in my opinion. But, in the midst of reading, something got my eye, a bee, a very small bee. It entered one of four, very small holes, about the size of a cocktail straw, right below where my radio is. It was a smaller then a honey bee, I really am not sure what kind it was. It crawled into the hole for a short period of time, then flew back out the window on the passenger side. I continued to read, and there it was again, back into the hole. I thought, I should put my windows up, or block that little hole, but I was fascinated by that little bee. It is so busy building a nest, it's instincts are in high drive. So,I left my windows down and went back to work. When I came out for lunch, the bottom little hole on the left, was covered with the bee's efforts. And no surprise, there it was again, but this time it entered the top left. It came in and flew away several times. It never noticed me, it was too busy doing what it was meant to do. Anyway, I went back into work, and as silly as it might sound, I continued to think about that bee. Finally, the work day was over, as I walked to my car, I wondered, will it be in the hole, or will it be out gathering it's needs for the nest? I got in the car and saw no bee, I thought about that wonderful bee off and on all the way home, looking at that hole, is it in there? I really should have put my window up, because that determined bee, spent all day building a nest, that was gone after the worker's clock sounded.....

No comments: