Saturday, January 08, 2005

Sex and Shrimp

Clark is home in this story and we have quickly discovered he has lost his sense of taste, or more that it has changed drastically. He goes through phases, he sometimes eats only tomato soup or eggs and for a while only grapes. I try to fix all of his favorites but as soon as he gets it in his mouth, he grimaces and looking like a little kid, he spits it out. I usually have to put my hand out to catch it, or it lands in his lap or the floor or where ever.
So, I decide okay I will fix him some shrimp, he always loved shrimp.
I decide to tell him in the morning my great idea for dinner. "Clark, we are going to have shrimp tonight, okay?" He mumbles okay and that is that. The day continues on and Clark takes his usual long nap. Sleeping a lot is expected after a stroke, and this holds true for him, he can sleep about 16 hours a day. Anyway, he awakes from his nap and comes out to couch and ask me.."So do you want sex tonight?" I am very suprised by this question, since Clark has totally lost interest in sex since his stroke, much to my dismay. I look at him and say "well, yes I would like that, do you want to?" He says "No not really". So I continue on, reassuring him that is okay. I miss sex, but I can wait until he is better and even if he never wants to again, I will understand and we will make do. The conversation goes on for about a half hour back and forth, when Clark in total frustration says "I thought you wanted to have sex tonight? Now you don't?!" You said you wanted sex, as he holds out his index finger and it is curled like the shape of a ...shrimp? OH MY GOD, it hits me like a bolt of lightning.... "Clark, you aren't talking about sex are you? You are talking about shrimp for dinner tonight !!??" Clark looks at me like I am a total nut and says "Yes, sex for dinner?" I can't help but crack up laughing about this conversation. Clark was speaking Strokanese and I thought he was speaking English. Like I said in an earlier post, I need to create a Srokanese dictionary and Sex means shrimp in Strokanese. This is one of the many stories I will never forget, although I do forget all the words exactly, I think you can still get the idea. Oh my, oh my what are we to do? Love and laugh and enjoy each other to the very end.....

No comments: